As people prepare for a forecasted snowfall expected for parts of Ontario, Enbridge Gas Distribution reminds customers that clearing snow and ice is an important part of winter safety.
In addition to scraping car windows and shovelling sidewalks, natural gas meters, pressure regulators and appliance exhaust vents should be kept free of snow and ice to operate safely and efficiently.
Snow or ice build-up could damage a natural gas meter or regulator, interrupt natural gas service or cause an appliance to malfunction, which could create a serious safety hazard.
If a meter, regulator or external vents are covered with snow or ice, remove the snow carefully with either a car brush or broom. Do not use sharp objects or force, such as kicking or hitting, to remove the snow or ice as this may cause damage.
Enbridge Gas Distribution encourages customers to take these additional safety precautions:
• Never pile snow against gas equipment or appliance vents.
• Don't let snow or ice block your vents as this could cause dangerous carbon monoxide to build up indoors.
• Be careful when using a shovel, plow or snow blower near gas equipment or appliance vents.
• Maintain eavestroughs and fix leaky seams in or around downspouts to prevent water from dripping on the meter and appliance vents and freezing.
• If you have a seasonal property or are away on vacation make sure that someone is checking your property for you.